GW’s Entry-Level Occupational Therapy Doctorate (eOTD) program uses a hybrid format with approximately 75 percent online coursework. Our online courses use a dynamic media for self-disciplined and self-directed students to pursue an entry-level doctorate degree. Students are expected to have competency in computer systems such as creating and sharing files, creating and sharing presentations, navigating webpages, use of video online conferencing, and creating/sending/responding to emails with attachments.
Learning online requires use of a computer (desktop or laptop) with administrative rights, a broadband internet connection, and basic software. Software recommendations for students with a PC or Mac can be found on the GW Information Technology Software Recommendations website.
Your computer should handle these recommended software applications and the following general requirements (most computers fulfill):
- Video card (preferably in HD)
- Sound card
- Speakers and a microphone or headphones with a built-in microphone
- Webcam (built-in or USB)
- Broadband internet connection
- Microsoft Office 365 (provided at no cost to all GW students, faculty and staff)
The OTD program uses Blackboard, GW's learning management system. From Blackboard you will receive assignments, videos, and readings; interact with instructors and classmates; use discussion boards; log onto video conferences; and more.
Blackboard support is available Monday-Friday, 7a.m. - 10p.m. (Eastern time) through the GWIT Support Center.
After hours, weekend and holiday support is also available through Blackboard Learn Support which can be contacted via the same number (202) 994-4948 option 2 when the IT Support Center is closed.
More information about services and applications that GW provides to students can be found on the Technical Requirements and Support webpage. Some of these services include:
- Blackboard support
- Google services: Drive, GWMail, Calendar
- GW Mobile app
- GWeb Information System
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Office 365
- Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Cloud, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Statistical Analysis System, Colonial Connect Jabber, Virtual Private Network (VPN), WebEx web conferencing